Product Developer – Plant Based Food & Beverage
Monday, October 21st, 2019
The Product Developer is responsible for collaborating with Brand Marketing to design winning plant-based beverages based on consumer and market understanding. The developer is also tasked with designing the product & process, then ensuring scale-up runs smoothly in factory, and for launch follow up. The role encompasses leading product development programs across breakthrough innovation, renovation and productivity. This position involves strong interactions with internal cross functional teams and external suppliers, hands on bench and analytical work, pilot plant work, managing formula cost and specifications (ingredients and product & process), conducting and coordinating industrial tests in plants, and assisting in industrial scale-up. The candidate must be able to represent R&I interests within the company during all projects and cross-functional interactions.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR:
- Managing projects according STAGE GATE PROCESS methodology.
- Act as the R&I driver on product attributes definition vs consumer expectations as well as technical solutions within each program team, develop formulations and processes to deliver on consumer expectations, within project food safety, costs and timing requirements
- Contribute to innovation pipeline outside chartered program work by engaging with the broader Denver/Boulder plant-based community, our suppliers, external partners and internal consumer insights team.
- Design pilot trials, organize tasting sessions with Marketing, and draw conclusions and recommendations for next steps.
- Collaborate with suppliers to obtain best results for product development (brief suppliers and follow up on their progress)
- Participate in consumer test design, organize sample production and ensure product quality follow up.
- Realize scale up / industrialization with Engineering and Manufacturing departments.
- Participate as an R&I representative for product launch/start up by preparing all specifications related to product line (except packaging) and ensure that all documentation needed is available prior to start up.
- Network with Danone global R&I community to share in best practices.
- Master’s Degree or higher in Food Science or closely related field preferred.
- 3+ years experience in food and/or beverage product development or closely related field
- Strong technical skills on product formulation, industrial processes and manufacturing practices, preferred in-depth knowledge on dairy and non-dairy based emulsions
- Flexibility to travel (25%)
- Strong project management/organization and leadership skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work cross-functionally and able to train staff.
- Proficient in product development systems and general computer skills
- Comfortable and passionate about creating, rapid prototyping, development and commercialization of ideas under tight timelines.